MEGHAN’S father has scotched her claims she grew up on salads at a budget restaurant.
Thomas Markle, 77, also called Harry a candyass, a timid or cowardly person, for quitting the UK.
Meghan tried to highlight her humble roots to push for paid parental leave by saying in a letter to US politicians in October she “grew up on the $4.99 salad bar” at Sizzler family restaurants.
But Thomas, speaking from his home in Rosarito, Mexico, told The Sun: “She’s never, ever, ever had to worry about anything like that in her life.
“We’d do the best restaurants in town and we’d do Sizzler because it was convenient. We never had to rub our pennies together and just have the salad bar.
“She had the salad bar — but she had a meal as well.”
He added of Meghan’s note: “She sends letters to senators and congressmen where she calls herself the Duchess. That’s totally wrong. You really shouldn’t do that.”
Thomas also took aim at Harry, 37, for quitting as a frontline royal. He said: Harry walked away from his responsibilities and that’s ridiculous. He walked away from his grandmother, the royals and the British people.
“He’s a candyass. I’d take him on at my age any time. He’d run away from me.”
Last week, the Court of Appeal upheld a ruling that the publisher of The Mail on Sunday breached Meghan’s privacy by reproducing a letter she wrote to her dad after marrying Harry in 2018.
🔵 Read our Meghan and Harry live blog for the latest updates
Most read in Royal
Thomas told The Sun: “I got really upset at the judgment because that means I still can’t tell my story and defend myself. I thought there would be a fair trial but now it’s not going to trial. It’s ridiculous. The British system has let me down.
“Unless it’s stamped ‘private’ on top of the letter, how can it be private? It doesn’t make sense to me. If that’s British law I don’t know how anyone can get by.”
Thomas is now considering going on YouTube to read the unpublished parts of Meghan’s letter to him.
He added: “Someday that letter’s going to be released. I still love my daughter but I hate what she’s become. She’s changed so much.”
PRINCES AND THE PRESS GETS 925 COMPLAINTS
THE BBC had 925 complaints over its documentary about Princes William and Harry’s relationship with the media.
The first episode of the two-part Princes and the Press — which aired last month — received 776 complaints alone.
Objections related to alleged bias against the royal family.
Following the documentary by journalist Amol Rajan, 38, a carol service led by the Duchess of Cambridge was moved from the BBC to ITV.
We pay for your stories!
Do you have a story for The Sun news desk?
Click here to upload yours.