HOME and business owners will get some extra money back in their pockets just for installing security cameras.
A new city program in Chicago is providing rebates of up to $1,000 for eligible participants.
The city of Chicago saw 2021 as one of the most violent on record, with nearly 800 homicides, according to the Chicago Police Department.
To combat crime, city officials approved $5.3million for the Home and Business Protection Program (HBPP).
For the next two years, HBPP will give reimbursements to cover the costs of:
- Outdoor security cameras
- One year of cloud storage for video footage
- Outdoor motion sensor lighting
- Vehicle GPS trackers
- Subscription costs
All Chicago residents are encouraged to apply.
Businesses, religious, and non-profit organizations are also eligible to sign up for the program, purchase equipment, and receive financial reimbursement.
The program is first-come, first-serve.
Who is eligible?
To be eligible for any qualifying rebates, the following requirements must be met:
- The applicant must be an owner or tenant of a property used as a primary residence, business, religious institution, or nonprofit organizations within the City of Chicago or own or lease a vehicle registered to a primary address within the City of Chicago.
- The applicant must provide documentation that verifies proof of purchase.
- The applicant must provide photo documentation that verifies installation.
Most read in money
How much can you receive?
Anyone who meets the eligibility criteria may receive reimbursement for:
- Up to $225 per camera (cost of camera and tax only) for a maximum of two cameras, or a total $450 reimbursement
- One year of subscription costs for cloud-based video storage systems for a maximum of $150 per annual subscription
- Up to $100 per light (cost of light and tax only) for a maximum of two lights, or a total $200 reimbursement
- Up to $50 per vehicle GPS tracking device (cost device and tax only) for a maximum of two devices, or a total $100 reimbursement
- One year of subscription costs for GPS tracking applications as required for use by the vehicle GPS tracking device manufacturer up to $120.
How long will it take to receive the rebate?
All eligible applicants will be reimbursed within 90 days after the application is approved.
The rebates will be issued by check.
Applications can only be completed online.
The Sun shares the give best energy-saving smart home devices to keep your utility bills down.